Want comfort food but still need some extra nutrients? This recipe has both! The delicious meatballs are easy to make and are a staple at my house. The handful of microgreens adds an earthy flavor that creates the perfect bite. Microgreens are packed with healthy nutrients that often deliver better benefits than regular vegetables.
Thank you Urban Greens for the gorgeous microgreens! I used toyko mustard in this recipe but any of the Urban Greens microgreens would work. Take a look at all the nutrient dense food they have to offer!
Italian Meatballs with Microgreens
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 jar marinara sauce (25 ounce)
- 1/2 cup parmesan grated
- 1 ounce microgreens I used toyko mustard
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium bowl mix together the ground beef, egg, panko bread crumbs, parsley, and thyme. It is best mixed together by hand.
- Prepare the meatballs. Take 2-3 tbsp of the ground beef mixture and roll it in your hands gently to form a ball. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add smashed garlic cloves. When the oil starts to simmer, add the meatballs. (Make sure not to overcrowd the pan) Cook meatballs for 2 minutes a side to get that nice crust.
- Discard the garlic cloves and add the marinara sauce. Bring to a simmer and cover with lid or foil to finish off in the oven. Cook at 450 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Place 3 meatballs on a plate and sprinkle parmesan on top. Then place a handful of microgreens over the parmesan. Serve alone, with a warm baguette, or spaghetti.