Oh my goodness…. I have made spinach breakfast sandwiches before but this Egg Sandwich with Wilted Spinach is out of this world and so simple to make! This recipe is adapted from Williams-Sonoma Healthy in a Hurry, by Karen Ansel, MS, RD and Charity Ferreira. (Which by the way is one of my go-to cookbooks for fast weeknight meals.)
The garlicky spinach and manchego cheese makes this sandwich absolutely perfect. It is a fast healthy option for breakfast to jump start your day! I love any breakfast recipe the involves adding fresh spinach and this one is so quick!
I could go on and on about how much I love Manchego. I had it for the first time about 7 years ago at a friend’s house and I immediately went and bought some the next day. This is a cheese from Central Spain made out of sheep’s milk. It is a sharp cheese that tastes richer the longer it has aged. If you have not tried it, please do for this recipe! It is one of my favorite cheeses and great for cheese boards. This is the perfect cheese to add to a breakfast sandwich since it has about 7 grams of protein per ounce!
- There are different ages of Manchego and the prices will reflect the age. In a typical grocery store, the ages range from 2 months to 24 months. The longer it has aged, the richer it will be. I prefer 6 month manchego but 3 month is excellent as well.
- If you don’t like manchego or can’t find it, sharp white cheddar would taste great!
- If you do not have ramekins, you can make these sandwiches with scrambled or over easy eggs.
This Egg Sandwich with Wilted Spinach is the perfect meal prep option for a busy family as well! I usually make 4 at a time and wrap the rest in foil for an easy breakfast the next day. I just put them in the oven at 375 degrees for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- TASTE: Savory and delicious!
- TIME: Total time is about 20 minutes, make sure to prep the other ingredients while the eggs bake in the oven.
- TROUBLE: Little to no trouble! Very simple!